Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Crickets, birds and words Oh My!

When I was in the 2nd grade I was diagnosis with a degenerative bilateral severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss.  So what does this mean? I have damage to my auditory nerve. How did this happen, why did it happen???  There are no real answers....there have been suggestions that my hearing loss was caused from trauma at birth.  I was a postmature baby, my mother carried me for 10 months 1 day in utero (medically verified with tissue samples).  I also had respiratory distress.  Many postmature babies have some sort of neurological disorder.  Sensorineural hearing loss falls within line of this disorder from what I have read.  

Hearing a human voice clearly in a noisy situation, the letters I, P, G, K, F, SH, S, T, CH are difficult sounds to hear and/or pronounce.  I have extreme difficulty understanding speech, especially in the presence of background noise or if the person is turned away from me. Higher volume levels are needed for hearing TV or radio, even with a higher volume I still may not understand what is being said.  Closed captioning is a must for true enjoyment of watching a t.v. program. Clarity of speech is extremely difficult with women and children, my speech is clearly affected. Whispering in the ear doesn't work for me. Reading lips becomes the norm. High frequency squeals, chirps, squeaks are not even recognizable (birds, crickets, beeping of many digital alarms), Car breaks are worn to the metal before I "hear" there is a problem. Accents/dialects are extremely difficult for me to adjust to or understand.  I avoid situations where lack of hearing may cause a problems or embarassment to myself or others. Buying products becomes a hassle when it comes to sounds....telephones, clocks, alarms, etc. I just can't purchase a product...I must hear it before purchasing.  There are so many other small issues that I can not even think of at this moment. 

I recently read that a hearing loss can cause depression, stress, and anxiety.  My brain works twice as hard to interpret the sound(s) or words, some times I get the interpretation right and sometimes I am COMPLETELY wrong.  This can cause major problems with family, friends and co-workers.  I have gone to meetings where I come out completely stressed and exhausted because I have to try so hard to concentrate on what the other is saying.....echo environment is a killer for me (I heard absolutely NOTHING at my son's graduation :(  which was held at Verizon Arena).  It affects my ability to work, where I work and who I work with.  My hearing has negatively affected my quality of life but that is all about to change! 

Technology has finally perfected the digital aids to enabled me to have a hearing aid specifically for my hearing loss Finally, FINALLY insurance is covering part of the cost of the necessary device and no longer viewed it as cosmetic device (sickening!).  On Friday, September 9, 2011....I will, for the first time, walk out of my audiologist office with two hearing aids that I have wanted for at least 20+ years.   My life is going to change and I have such an incredibly positive outlook.  I have been warned of the acclamation period and that it make take my brain up to six months to process all the new sounds.  I also have to get used to hearing my natural voice. I have spent so many years avoiding situations where I meet new people or new situation, but I have made a promise to myself I am going to put myself in situations to test all areas of this new life and embrace this gift of sound and hearing.  I hope that you will follow me on the joys, the pains, the highs and lows of this incredible journey!

2 comments:

  1. I am truly happy for you Janet. Can't imagine what you have been though not being able to hear well . This is going to be so wonderful for you .
    Best of Luck I hope you adjust really fast : )

    Love
    Dena Trammell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you Dena! I truly can not wait! I hope the audiologist allows me to video the event.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete